“Some people’s lives would drastically change if they would obey God as strictly as they obey their doctors.” Aiden Wilson Tozer. This is really apt, is it not? If we apply the same principle or belief to God’s Word, we will be spiritual giants in the land. As I began to think of God in His greatness, I thought it was important for me to understand the Names of God. Watch this, as parents, we place a lot of emphasis on the names we give to our children; consequently, the name given to the child will help shape their life.
Listen to this, “Because of that obedience, God exalted Him and multiplied His greatness! He has now been given the greatest of all names!” Read Philippians 2:9 (TPT). Beloved, there is power in the Names of God. “And at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, every tongue confess Him, King of glory, now.” Someone might be asking, what does the Name of God have to do with “building according to God’s pattern”? I want to find out myself, therefore, let us explore together.
The Bible refers to the Names of God in the following:
- Elohim – God. [This refers to God’s power and might. He is the only supreme and true God.]
- “In the beginning, God (Elohim) created [by forming from nothing] the heavens and the earth.” Read Genesis 1:1 (AMP).
- “God’s splendour is a tale that is told; His Testament is written in the stars. Space itself speaks His story every day through the marvels of the heavens. His truth is on tour in the starry vault of the sky, showing His skill in creation’s craftsmanship.” Read Psalm 19:1 (TPT).
- Yahweh – The Lord.
- This is the history of [the origin of] the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day [that is, days of creation] that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.” Read Genesis 2:4 (AMP).
- El Elyon – God Most High. He is above all god’s.
- “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High, who has defeated your enemies for you.” Read Genesis 14:19b – 20 (NLT).
- El Roi – God who sees. God oversees all creation and the affairs of people.
- Thereafter, Hagar used another name to refer to the Lord, who had spoken to her. She said, “You are the God who sees me.” She also said, “Have I truly seen the One who sees me?”
The Lord teaches, “And I will do whatever you ask in My name [as My representative], this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified and celebrated in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name [as My representative], I will do it.” Read John 14:13 (AMP).
Understanding the Names of God will help shape our perspective about God. Knowing the nature and character of God helps fortify our ability to trust God and totally rely on Him to help us as we build according to His pattern.
We write. You read. Be encouraged.